The Cars - Bristol-engined models
The Type 400 2 litre saloon was soon joined by the 401, from which in turn was derived the 402 Drophead Coupé and the 403 saloon. Of these, the 400 was a 4 seat saloon, while the 401 and 403 were 5-seaters.
In 1953, the smaller short chassis 2+2 seat Type 404 broke fresh ground with a body from which all trace of BMW origins had disappeared. A hybrid was also constructed on this chassis: the Type 404/X or Arnolt Bristol, commissioned by S.H."Wacky" Arnolt in 1953.
The final model with a Filton-designed and built engine was the Type 406, with the original 2 litre engine design stretched to 2.2 litres. Production included 6 special-bodied saloons and one coupé; these were fitted with bodies by Zagato, the Italian Coachbuilder.